What we can and can not help you with
At NIPO we make a distinction between guidance and counselling.
By guidance, we mean the information we can give you about patents, trademarks and designs, and what characterises them. Our staff can give you an overview of what opportunities exist, how to apply for rights and what it may mean for you and your business.
By counselling, we mean providing concrete suggestions on what you should or should not do, giving advice concerning different types of strategies for managing your patents, trademarks or designs. This type of advice lies outside our mission as a public authority. If you need advice, contact a law firm or a patent agent. These are professional advisors who know the field and can help you in using and enforcing your intellectual property rights.
Examples of what we can not help you with:
- Formulate and write your application - trademark application, patent application or design application
- Give an opinion as to whether something can be patented or registered as a trademark or design. You will receive an answer to this after you have filed your application or if you request a preliminary search examination.
- Advice on what to do in a conflict with a competitor.
- Assess the commercial potential of your invention or your product
- Provide financial assistance. You can check for example Innovation Norway, Research Council of Norway, Skattefunn, Start and Run a Business
- Recommend a specific advisor, attorney or attorney. See the list at iprhjelp.no. (in Norwegian)
- Help you find partners
- Provide specific advice on licensing or transfer of rights. Read more about licensing
- Register company or company name. Contact the Brønnøysund Register Centre (in Norwegian)