2. Why register a design?
Developing new products requires time and investment. It is often the design or appearance of a product that distinguishes it from other products. The design may therefore be of great value.
Get a head start in the market
By registering your design you receive exclusive rights to exploit it commercially. Should you end up in a conflict, you will have a stronger case if your design is registered.
Registering your design is important because it enables you to document your exclusive rights, and can:
- increase your competitive advantage and improve the possibility of earning money from your design
- help you achieve a greater market share
- give you a sound basis for entering into sales and licensing agreements with others.
- make your business more attractive to partners and investors
- help to prevent conflicts
- be used as evidence in a conflict