Good reasons for registering a design
Get a head start in the market
By registering your design you will have sole right to the appearance of a product and to exploit it commercially. For a design to be protected by the Designs Act, the design must be registered with the Norwegian Industrial Property Office (NIPO). A design registration gives you tangible proof of your exclusive right. Should you end up in conflict, you will have a stronger case with a design registration.
Registering your trademark is important because it enables you to document your exclusive rights, and can:
- increase your competitive advantage and improve the possibility of earning money from your design
- help you achieve a greater market share
- gives you a sound basis for entering into sales and licensing agreements with others.
- make your business more attractive to partners and investors
- help to prevent conflicts
- be used as evidence in a conflict
If someone wishes to contest your right, they must disprove that you have exclusive rights to the design. The burden of proof is therefore placed on the other party.