Apply for a patent in Norway
- 1 Why apply for a patent?
- 2 Check the market
- 3 Get help from a professional
- 4 The invention must be new
- 5 Check the rights of others
- 6 Application process
- 7 Possible obstacles on the way to a patent
- 8 Patent in other countries?
- 9 Examples
- 10 What does it cost?
- 11 Templates
- 12 No Norwegian ID number?
- 13 Applications (drafts and/or filed) and receipts
10. What does it cost?
Private individuals and small/medium-sized companies (SME), i.e. less than 20 full-time employees (or equivalent), are entitled to a reduced application fee. See the table below.
If the patent is granted you must also pay a grant fee and annual fees in addition to the application fee.
List of fees (link to price liste)
An example of prices to NIPO:
- An application is filed.
- Description, patent claims and drawings - a total 25 pages.
- 14 pages are included in the grant fee.
- There is a list of 16 patent claims, and all the claims concern the same invention, but with different methods of implementation, as well as variants.
- 10 claims are included in the application fee.
- During the processing of the application the applicant submits new claims, and there are 17 claims when the patent is granted.
|For the application process:|
|Application fee less than 20 full-time employees:||NOK 850|
|Companies with more than 20 full-time employees (or equivalent):||NOK 4650|
|Additional fee for each claim over 10: NOK 250 per claim:||6 x 250 = NOK 1500|
|1 extra claim added:||NOK 250|
|Grant fee:||NOK 1200|
|Additional fee for each page over 14:||11 extra pages 11 x 250 = NOK 2750|
|Annual fee for the first three years:||NOK 2100|
Resumption and shelving:
|NOK 550 first time
NOK 1950 second time and later
After this you must pay an annual fee to maintain your exclusive right:
|4th year = NOK 1350 steadily increasing to the 20th fee year of NOK 6500.|
A patent can last for maximum 20 years from the date of filing. (The only exception is for medicines which can last an additional 5 years due to a special scheme).
If you are using professional help, the cost will depend on how much assistance you need, and the prices determined by the patent agency or attorney.
Link to adviser database at iprhjelp.no (in Norwegian)
Have you read all 13 items listed at the top of the page?